Kosovo: Review of on-going and planning of new local governance
The Swiss country strategy 2013-2016 for Kosovo has defined “Democratic Governance and Decentralisation” as one of its four domains. In this domain SDC was planning to develop a new core programme, addressing different dimensions in order to contribute to Kosovo’s democratic state-building process through decentralisation and socially inclusive governance and local service provision.
The new core programme was to consist of interventions to strengthen municipal governance by building capacities of different actors responsible for democratic functioning of a municipality and by intervening in the vertical dimension to arrive at a conducive regulatory framework for a decentralised state.
As a basis for planning the new programme, SDC’s existing local governance project had to be reviewed and good practices and lessons included in the design of the new one.
KEK-CDC was mandated to:
- Review the on-going LOGOS project – SDC’s core project in the domain of “Democratic Governance and Decentralisation, implemented by Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation.
- Review of the institutional collaboration of SDC with the Association of Kosovo Municipalities. This was mainly done by “Recht und Governance” a Swiss law firm, which was sub-contracted by KEK-CDC.
- Identify the main element of a new programme on local governance and decentralisation.
- Suggest, how the different components of the new programme could look like and how they should be interrelated.
- Conduct a workshop with main stakeholders in Kosovo to validate the review results and identified and elaborated components of the new Swiss core programme the domain of democratic governance and decentralisation.
A report consisting of a political economy analysis and the overall design of the new programme was written. The report was structured along the chapters of SDC “entry proposals”. The report was used by SDC to elaborate an entry proposal for the new programme and prepare the documents for the public tender of this new programme.